GP Patient Survey
The GP Patient Survey is an independent survey run by Ipsos MORI on behalf of NHS England. The latest survey ran between January and March 2019.
We were delighted with the results and thank all those that responded. The full results can be found on the Ipsos MORI website GP Patient Survey.
A summary of the results are as follows:
- 98% find it easy to get through to us by phone
- 99% find our receptionists helpful
- 88% are satisfied with GP appointment times available
- 93% usually get to see or speak to their preferred GP when they would like to
- 87% were offered a choice of appointment when they last tried to make one
- 90% were satisfied with the type of appointment they were offered
- 100% took the appointment they were offered
- 95% describe their experience of making an appointment as good
- 83% waited 15 minutes or less after their appointment time to be seen; 17% waited longer than 15 minutes
- 92% say the healthcare professional they saw or spoke to was good at giving them enough time during their last appointment
- 96% say the healthcare professional they saw or spoke to was good at listening to them during their last appointment
- 94% say the healthcare professional they saw or spoke to was good at treating them with care and concern during their last appointment
- 93% were involved as much as they wanted to be in decisions about their care and treatment during their last appointment
- 98% had confidence and trust in the healthcare professional they saw or spoke to during their last appointment
- 92% felt the healthcare professionals understood any mental health needs during their last appointment
- 95% felt their needs were met during their last appointment
- 92% say they have had enough support from local services or organisations in the last 12 months to help manage their long-term condition(s)
- 98% describe their overall experience of our GP practice as good; 0% described it as poor.
We are working with our Patient Participation Group on the actions from the survey. These are to:
- Online services - continue to promote the new NHS App and online patient services
- Appointment times - continue to promote our appointment times including our extended access evening appointments.
- Long term conditions - continue to promote healthy living and the support offered by One You for smoking cessation, weight management and exercise advice; and Community Connectors for social prescribing and help accessing other health & social care services.
Friends and Family
We regularly ask patients by text message or in the waiting room if they would recommend our GP Practice to friends and family. The latest results are as follows:
- January 2019 - 97% of respondents would recommend us to friends and family
- February 2019 - 99%
- March 2019 - 97%
- April 2019 - 96%
- May 2019 - 97%
- June 2019 - 96%
- July 2019 - 94%
- August 2019 - 96%
- September 2019 - 96%
Patients can feedback on our services. The latest feedback includes:
- Parking - we recognise that parking is difficult at both Oldwood and Battle Health Centre. We have introduced staff parking permits at Battle Health Centre and have written to local businesses and residents asking them not to park in our spaces during our opening hours. At Oldwood Surgery staff park off site where possible and we are ensuring there are plenty of parking spaces in the plans for our new building.
- Waiting times - we appreciate that waiting times can sometimes be long. Appointments are 10 minutes per patient but depending upon the problem being discussed, some patients require longer. Patients are being asked to say at the start of their appointment if they have more than one problem they wish to discuss so the GP can assess if it can all be dealt with in one appointment or if the patient is better to book a second appointment to discuss the other issues.
- Arrivals screens - these are not mandatory to use so if you prefer to speak to the receptionist, please do. Patients have asked if we can add the current waiting time but this isn't possible.
- Facilities - we are aware our facilities and space at Oldwood Surgery are limited. We are continuing to work on plans for our new building in Robertsbridge and will update the website as soon as there is more news.
- Radio - some patients like it; others do not. We are aware that the waiting room is very small at Oldwood and the radio reduces some people overhearing conversations at the reception desk.
- Booking appointments - all GPs have a mix of on the day urgent and book in advance appointments at both Oldwood and Battle. The further ahead you book, the more choice you will have of GP and location. If you need an urgent appointment, we try to offer flexibility but it will depend upon who has appointments available and where they are working. For more information on booking appointments, click on 'Appointments' at the top of our home page.
- Extended hours - we offer evening appointments, booked in advance, on Tuesday (GP), Wednesday (GP & Nurse) and Thursday (GP) evenings 6.30pm to 8.00pm as part of the government initiative to give patients extended access to appointments. You can also book to see a GP at another local practice on Monday and Friday evenings and Saturday mornings; and by telephone on Sunday mornings. Speak to our reception team to find out more.
- Automated calling system - feedback from our staff is that they like getting up from their desk and walking down the corridor to get you.
- Text message appointment reminders - we would love to be able to add more information to our text message appointment reminders but it is an automated system and we are not able to make any changes.
- Medical leaflets/information - our GPs will often recommend useful sources of information for your medical condition. If you are worried you won't remember, ask them to write it down for you and they will gladly do this.